Thank you for choosing the Church of Saint Clare for your loved ones funeral. Our Funeral Ministers (volunteers) are wonderful!
If you are working with a Funeral Home, let them know you'd would like to have services at The Church of Saint Clare. Once they contact us and a date is selected, you will then hear from one of our Funeral Ministers to help in planning the service. Below are the readings, Gospel, responsorial psalm and songs from which you can choose that best help to celebrate the new life of your loved one. (Selections are subject to change)
USCCB Readings from the Old Testament
- 2 Maccabees 12:43-46 – “He made atonement for the dead that they might be freed from sin”
- Job 19: 1, 23-27a – “I know that my Vindicator lives.”
- Wisdom 3:1-6, 9 – “The souls of the just are in the hand of God and no torment shall touch them”
- Wisdom 4:7-15 – “The just man, though he die early, shall be at rest”
- Isaiah 25: 6a, 7-9 - “He will destroy death forever”
- Lamentations 3: 17-26 – “It is good to hope in silence for the saving help of the Lord”
- Daniel 12: 1-3 – “Many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake
USCCB Readings from the New Testament Eastertime
Selections During Eastertime
- Acts 10:34-43 or 10:34-36,42-43 – God has appointed Jesus to judge everyone, alive and dead
- Revelation 14:13 – Happy are those who die in the Lord.
- Revelation 20:11-21:1 – The dead have been judged according to their works.
- Revelation 21:1-5a,6b-7 – There will be no more death.
Selections Outside Easter
- Romans 5:5-11 – Having been justified by blood, we will be saved from God’s anger through him.
- Romans 5:17-21 – Where sin increased, there grace abounded all the more.
- Romans 6:3-9 or 6:3-4,8-9 – Let us walk in newness of life.
- Romans 8:14-23 – We groan while we wait for the redemption of our bodies.
- Romans 8:31b-35,37-39 – Who can ever come between us and the love of Christ?
- Romans 14:7-9,10c-12 – Whether alive or dead, we belong to the Lord.
- 1 Corinthians 15:20-28 of 15:20-23 – All people will be brought to life in Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 15:51-57 – Death is swallowed up in victory.
- 2 Corinthians 4:14-5:1 – What is seen is transitory; what is unseen is eternal.
- 2 Corinthians 5:1,6-10 – We have an everlasting home in heaven.
- Philippians 3:20-21 – Jesus will transfigure these wretched bodies of ours to be glorious like his body.
- 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 – We shall stay with the Lord for ever.
- 2 Timothy 2:8-13 – If we have died with him, we shall live with him.
- 1 John 3:1-2 – We shall see God as he really is.
- 1 John 3:14-16 – We have passed from death to life, because we love our brothers and sisters.
- Matthew 5:1-12a – Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven.
- Matthew 11:25-30 – Come to me…and I will give you rest.
- Matthew 25:1-13 – Look, the bridegroom comes. Go out to meet him.
- Mark 15:33-39;16:1-6 or 15:33-39 – Jesus gave a loud cry and breathed his last.
- Luke 7:11-17 – Young man, I say to you, arise.
- Luke 12:35-40 – Be prepared.
- Luke 23:33,39-43 – Today you will be with me in paradise.
- Luke 23:44-46,50,52-53;24:1-6a – Father, I put my life in your hands.
- Luke 24:13-35 or 24:13-16,28-35 – Was it not necessary that the Christ should suffer and so enter into his glory?
- John 5:24-29 – Whoever hears my words and believes, has passed from death to life.
- John 6:37-40 – All who believe in the Son will have eternal life and I will raise them to life again on the last day.
- John 6:51-58 – All who eat this bread will live forever; and I will raise them up on the last day.
- John 11:17-27 or 11:21-27 – I am the resurrection and the life.
- John 11:32-45 – Lazarus, come out.
- John 12:23-28 or 12:23-26 – If a grain of wheat falls on the ground and dies, it yields a great harvest.
- John 14:1-6 – There are many rooms in my Father’s house.
- John 17:24-26 – Father, I want those you have given me to be with me where I am.
- John 19:17-18,25-30 – Jesus bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
- Psalm 23: Shephard Me, O God or The Lord is My Shepherd
- Psalm 25: To You, O Lord
- Psalm 103: The Lord is Kind and Merciful
Families may choose 3 hymns from the list below. Click on the link to hear the song.
Guidlines for Christian Remarks - RCDA
All music and lyrics used and reprinted with permission under ONE LICENSE—License # A-700688. All rights reserved.